Tuesday, March 15, 2011

365 Cards - Day 16 - Abstract Art

Today's challenge at 365 Cards is "Abstract Art". Pam let me pick the piece to be inspired by and this is the one I chose.
Now some of you are probably wondering "what the heck?!?!" Well, as a psychologist I'm trained to use the Rorschach inkblots as a personality assessment, so this work by Andy Warhol called to me! I took my inspiration from the technique of creating "inkblots" and came up with my card above. I played for awhile with ink and glossy cardstock before I got one that I liked :) But you can be inspired in another way...maybe the colors, other shapes in the piece, etc. I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

Here's the other challenges I was inspired by for this one:
1. Color Throwdown - Baja Breeze, Daffodil Delight, Crumb Cake, Soft Sky
2. Crafty Calendar Challenge - Spring
3. Crafty Sentiments - Just for You
4. Delightful challenges - butterflies
5. Digi Doodle Shop's Best - pearls
6. Do you Stack up - layers
7. Flourishes - butterflies
8. Pixie Dust Studio Pixie Challenge - thank you for being you
9. Stamp, Scrap & Doodle Saturday - spring has sprung
10. The Pink Elephant - Spring Time
11. the sweetest thing... -sketch
12. Whoopsi Daisy Challenge - pile on the flowers
13. Wild Orchid Challenges - Dieing to punch it out

Wait before you leave, I also have a card for this week's challenge at the D2D Card Ideas blog! This week is an "ABC" challenge...Anything But a Card...with a winter/Christmas theme. Well, I did a corner bookmark (my first one) but it's kinda hard to see the "winter" theme! The paper I used is Basic Grey Eskimo Kisses and I added a pearl snowflake button for her to hold. This is also using this week's progressive challenge freebie, Angel Caroline, at Delightful Inspirations.
Here's some other challenges I was inspired by for this one:
1. Copic Creations - shades of blue
2. Crafty Ann's Challenge Blog - sketch
3. Crafty Creations Challenges - baby blue
4. Jingle belles - Cool Yule color palette (kraft, white, pale blue): I threw I little pink in for good measure!
5. Lollipop Crafts - lace: I used a punched lace border
6. Scrap-Creations - anything goes
7. The Res-Q-Challenge - a little bit pink
8. Tuesday Throwdown - lace

Thanks for stopping by and can't wait to see your creations!
Aloha,

29 comments:

Diane said...

Very pretty, unique and different...love it!!

Bev said...

fab card. love the image and the colours.
ty for joining us at crafty sentiments

Bev Dt crafty sentiments
http://bevscraftybitsnmore.blogspot.com/

Copse said...

Love the use of the Ink Spot technique on your first card, its a brilliant idea, the Pearl flourish is great.. thanks for joining up at SSDS this week... Kaz DT SSDS

STAMPING SAM said...

WOW! Now I want this one for my Birthday card! My very, very favorites ~ blue, yellow (for your childhood bedroom!) and butterflies!!! Yippee! Both projects sport blues and the bookmark has an angel with blond hair just like you! You have made my day and now I'm off to get ready for another day of work! Have a great day DD! Love, SAM aka MOM

WeirdCat said...

Both fabulous cards, thank you for joining us at Digi Doodle Shop's Best this week
Ruth x

SmilynStef said...

What a fun fold on your jingle belles card ... love the sentiment placement ... thanks so much for joining our jingle belles fun.

Ann Whitfield said...

I love both cards and your interpretation of our sketch at Crafty Ann's is wonderful. Thank you for joining us for this one, hope to see you for the next one too.
Ann x

Leslie Hanna said...

My head spins with the number of challenges you keep track of! Wowza!

What a cute angel, and that pearl snowflake in her hands is very clever!

Thanks for playing!

Patti J said...

I'm pretty sure that MY birthday will fall before Stampin' Sam's birthday! I'm picking the bookmark...lol!!! Love your projects Kim. As always, you put your own little touch on everything you do, and both are so sweet! Thanks for sharing!!!

KraftyKoolKat said...

Gorgeous. Thank you for joining us at Digi Doodle Shop's Best.

Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

lauren bergold said...

oh wow! lovely card with the butterfly--and what an amazingly cool "corner bookmark" design! who would not ♥LOVE♥ to receive something that does double duty as a FAB holiday greeting AND holds one's page, as well! love it! :)

Jolara said...

lovely card ! Thanks fot joining the pixies this week Joyce xo

WencheP said...

Beautiful card, lovely colors. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

-Wenche

Janna said...

Hey Kim, awesome idea and great take on our layers challenge! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us at DYSU this week! Janna

Rose said...

how did you get a butterfly out of that image?? i see a ......... wait i am not going to tell you what i see, LOL

fab card girl :)

your second card is too CUTE!!! love the fold and that cute image :)

Teresa said...

Both cards are very cute, but the butterfly card you have entered for this week's Whoopsi Daisy is very ingenious and imaginative! Thanks for entering this into the challenge and good luck! Hugs, Teresa x

leslierahye said...

Thank you for joining Delightful Challenges this Week! Great card!
I love the abstract butterfly! Very pretty.

Sue said...

Those corner bookmarks are so fun to make - thanks for the reminder! This sweet image made me smile, and both of your projects are beautiful!

Denise said...

fabulous! Thanks for playing RESQ challenge this week!

Rose said...

Ahhh . . . you've made your angel look beautiful in blues. So glad to see your entry at Copic Creations. ~ Rose

ona_i_ja said...

wow, your cards are beautiful!
Thanks for joining us at Lollipop this week and good luck!
Hugs
Agnieszka

Silke Ledlow said...

Beautiful butterfly card Kim! The inkblot technique is awesome...need to try it one day! Thank you for sharing your card with us at the FTTC! Hugs ~S~

Mary C said...

Both these are are so beautiful. I am very fond of blue so these cards really called out to me! Wonderful work on both. Thanks for playing with us this week at Going Grey with Scrap-Creations and Good Luck!

Claire said...

Gorgeous cards, I love the technique you've used! Thanks for joining us at Crafty Ann's and good luck
Claire xx

juelmarie said...

Too cute - I love that image - I just printed her - gotta get her done this week - thanks for playing with us at Lollipop Challenge - Good luck!

Crafty Hugs
Juelmarie
Lollipop DT

Janet said...

Super cards and I love the technique you used for the butterfly. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Ann's.

Janet xx

Faith S. said...

Kim, I LOVE the ink blot art!! That is awesome! I have made butterflies like that with my niece and my kids...I never thought about using it on a card. So cool! Your winter corner bookmark is so pretty, too!

Kim said...

Your card is adorable. Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Throwdown.

Lola said...

OK...I didn't see a butterfly at all! I saw something with large front fangs - much like a demon. So your take is much prettier!

And the bookmark is awesome. Beautiful colors and coloring and embellishments.