Day 190- Super Sketchy Sunday
Gotta admit, like many others, I was stumped by this sketch...hum...how to put a donut over the tip of a triangle?!? hehe!
Well I decided to do an artistic interpretation of this sketch and recalled some toots by Michelle Zindorf that might work for this (If you haven't check out her blog, you should. She's phenomenal!! Over 250 toots and still going strong. Thanks Michelle!) So I looked at the Night Owl and the Is It Autumn Yet toots, turned the sketch 90 degrees to the right, and came up with what you see below. This actually my second attempt at this scene. For the first I tried to do the moon like in the Night Owl toot but couldn't get it to look right as I wanted the graduated colors in the sky. So I followed more of the Is it...toot but was inspired by both.
- I actually bought this stamp set (All Hallow's Eve by Inkadinkado) after seeing this tutorial last year from Michelle. The trees are from a vintage SU! set, Sensational Scenery.
- The sky (with the moon masked after the Narcissus color) was brayered with the Versacolor inks of Narcissus, Heliotrope, and Boysenberry. I then sponged Indigo with a bit of Black and a bit more of the Boysenberry at the top with an emphasis on the upper right corner. Also sponged the Heliotrope in the tress to ground them a bit.
- After getting the sky done, I unmasked the moon and used the negative to cover the rest of the scene while coloring the moon. I decided to make it look a bit like a Harvest Moon, so sponged a bit of Marigold and Paprika inks at the bottom and the middle (trying to make it look a bit like a donut!).
- After that was mostly dry (I prefer to use pigment inks as I like the blended look, however, I do heat gun some of the colors as I'm working so I don't loose them completely and so I can finish the scene quicker!), I stamped the witch using Palette Noir ink. While she was a bit darker than my attempt last night, I still wanted her to pop more, so I undertook the excruciating task of coloring over her with a black marker! UGH...my hand cramped while doing this part :)
- I then went a bit crazy with the white gel pen (kinda regret this part) by adding stars in the sky, highlighting the ones near the witch and adding a bit of "stardust" sweeping out from her (at least that was the look I was going for...not quite sure I got that).
- The scene is matted on Pumpkin Pie CS with a fancy corner punch in the top corners to help hide my fingerprints/smudges at these points! ;) Also used Elegant Eggplant CS and the card base is Basic Black.
- I cut it off at the top of the photo but I wrapped a sheer white ribbon around the CS layers to finish the layout challenge.
Well, I think that about covers it! Whew...now I gotta clean up this mess so I can get some of my paying job work done so I don't go crazy this week! Thanks for looking! :) Aloha!